Most Common Generic Medicine Names You Must Know
A marketed drug can be called by three different names – the Chemical name, which denotes the chemical structure i.e., the atomic and molecular structure of the medicine. It is usually too complex to be remembered by a common man without a medical or pharmaceutical background. Hence it is assigned a Generic name by an official body which is simpler and is usually classified according to the drug type. Drugs of a similar type have a generic name with the same ending. The Brand name of a drug is decided by the company manufacturing it. Brand names are usually short and easy to remember, like Crocin.
In 2012, the Union Health Ministry of India and Medical Council of India issued a directive that all the medicines be sold under their generic names only. One of the prime reason behind this step to promote generic medicines was to make these medicines affordable for the people. In spite of generic medicines being similar in composition, form, strength and in their route of administration to their branded counterparts, the most significant difference between the two is the price at which they are available in the market. Generic medicines are 80-85% cheaper when compared to the same medicines sold under a brand name.
Below is a list of the most commonly used generic medicines along with their uses and their brand names.
- Paracetamol (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Analgesics.
- A Drug used for the treatment of fever and also commonly used as a pain killer.
- Most common brand names – Crocin, Metacin, Calpol, Dolo.
- Cetrizine (StayHapppi Generic):
- Drug Class – Anti Histamines.
- A Drug used for treating the symptoms associated with cold and allergy like sneezing, running nose, itching, watery eyes, etc. Urticaria, Eustachian tube dysfunction.
- Most common brand name – Zyrtec.
- Calcium Carbonate + Vitamin D3 (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class: Calcium Supplement.
- A Drug commonly used for the treatment of Calcium and Vitamin deficiency.
- Most common brand name – Shelcal, Cipcal.
- CarboxyMethyl Cellulose (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Eye Care.
- A Drug commonly used in the treatment of dryness in the eye.
- Most common brand name – Refresh Tears, Lubistar.
- Tamsulosin + Dutasteride (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class –Urology.
- A Drug commonly used in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia.
- Most common brand name – Urimax D.
- Diclofenac Sodium (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Non- Steroidal Anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).
- A Drug commonly used to subside pain, swelling (Inflammation) and to relieve joint stiffness caused by arthritis.
- Most common brand name – Voveran, Diclomol, Diclomax, Diclofen.
- Metformin (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Anti-hyperglycemic agent of the biguanides class.
- A Drug commonly used along with glyburide to treat type II diabetes.
- Most common brand name – Diamet, Gluformin, Glycomet.
- Amoxicillin (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Penicillin class anti-bacterial.
- A Drug commonly used to treat different types of infections caused by bacterias like tonsillitis, pharyngitis, bronchitis, pneumonia, infections of the nose, ear, throat, skin, urinary tract, etc.
- Most common brand name – Amoxil, Mox, Moxikind.
- Atorvastatin (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Lipid Lowering Agent (Cholesterol).
- A Drug often used to treat high cholestrol.
- Most common brand name Atorva, Storvas, Tonact
- Omeprazole (StayHappi Generic):
- Drug Class – Proton Pump Inhibitors.
- A Drug commonly used for the treatment of gastric ulcers, Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced by the stomach.
- Most common brand name – Omepraz, Biocid, Ocid.
To truly meet the need of those who can’t afford private hospitals and expensive medicines, generic medicines can definitely make a substantial difference in that sector of the population. Improving the accessibility to these generic medicines, especially the lifesaving ones, can improve the life expectancy of the population in general. StayHappi pharmacy caters to this ever-growing need for generic medicines by supplying high-quality generic medicines at affordable rates at their outlets across the nation.
Note: – A valid prescription may be required for all the prescriptive drugs